Thursday, February 24, 2011

The older I get, the more I realize that optimism is a choice. Since I firmly believe that what you focus on follows you, no matter what is happening in my life, I do my best to consciously find the silver lining. Some days, when nothing seems to make sense and I feel like I am living in an upside-down world, it's a bit more challenging to be a glass-half-full kind of girl, but the alternative can quickly become a permanent state of brooding if I'm not careful!
I've run into a lot of people in my life that walk around with a permanent "why me?" cloud hanging over their heads ( you'll know them when you meet them because they never smile). They are quick to expect the worst and then wonder why bad things keep finding them. It's so easy to make a habit out of waiting for the bad news that we neglect all of the good things happening around us. It's even more challenging to be a in a permanent state of positive thinking when we are surrounded by people who are constantly negative themselves. But......it's no mistake that if you are a negative person, then you will unconsciously draw the same sort of people towards you. There would be no reason for the phrase "misery loves company" if on some level it wasn't true! So today, I pose a challenge.....a teeny tiny challenge that could potentially hold the key to changing your mind and the expectations you have about your life.....
It's a little thing I like to call "The BLISS LIST."
Grab yourself a piece of paper and some colorful markers or even crayons (everything is so much more fun when you do it in big, bold color) and put together a BLISS LIST for yourself! You don't have to make yourself crazy trying to come up with something profound, just very quickly jot down the top things happening in your life RIGHT NOW that fill you with a feeling of bliss! Take nothing for granted....not the air you breathe on your own, not your eyes, not the smell of a delicious pot of coffee brewing on a cold winter morning! There are 1000 little things happening around you right now that need to be recognized for the blessings that they are! So find ten of them, write them down and then post that list somewhere you will be certain to see it every single day before you leave the house!
My experience is that when we focus our energy on all of the good things in our lives, then we take the power away from all that other "yucky stuff." So, no matter how busy you are right now, stop what you're doing and write up your bliss list! If you're feeling really adventurous and optimistic, try to make a new list every couple of days and get yourself into the habit of seeking out all of the amazing things that you DO have versus complaining about what you think is missing! I promise you that once you get used to seeing the good, you will at some point begin to wear your optimism like a magnet and before you know it, all the wonderful blessings available to you on a daily basis will suddenly be knocking at your door!
Today I wish you the ability to send out a conscious invitation to the Universe asking it to shower you with abundant clarity and the vision you need in order to create your own Bliss List!
Have a magical day!
Heather

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea ... so here's a peak at my Bliss List.

    1. Hot showers
    2. A purring cat
    3. A 40 oz. bag of Cadbury mini eggs that's mine, all mine!

    ReplyDelete